How do you stack up? Charitable giving report gives you benchmarks
Fundraisers should have these stats handy.
- In 2015, overall charitable giving in the United States increased 1.6% on a year-over-year basis. We’ve recovered from the recession, but growth has slowed.
- Large organizations grew overall giving by 1.4%, medium organizations declined 0.7%, and small nonprofits grew 5.5%.
- Online giving grew 9.2% in 2015 compared to 2014.
- Large organizations grew online giving by 9.6%, medium sized organizations grew 9.1%, and small nonprofits grew 8.3% on a year-over-year basis.
- The percentage of total fundraising that came from online giving continued to grow in 2015. About 7.1% of overall fundraising revenue was raised online. This increase was due to increases in rapid response giving and continued digital adoption by donors.
- Mobile giving reached a tipping point in 2015 with nearly 14% of online transactions made using a mobile device.
- #GivingTuesday continued to grow in size with a 52% year-over-year increase in online donations.
- International affairs groups saw the biggest increase in giving (thanks to rapid response emergencies) while human service organizations and education institutions saw dips in giving.
Want more specifics? Download the free report here.