Congratulations! For your compassion and hard work, you can expect the following:
- You will be asked to raise more money than is reasonable.
- You will be punished if your goal is not met.
- When, against all odds, you succeed, you will be rewarded by having your goals increased.
- You will be reviled by program colleagues who think you are misrepresenting their work.
- You will be tasked with silly and unproductive distractions because a Board member saw something in the Wall Street Journal on the way to the Board meeting.
- Your copy will be edited by lawyers, who remove every scintilla of emotion from your letter.
- You will be blamed when one donor in 100,000 complains they didn’t get their tote bag.
- You will be asked to raise more money, but keep your spending flat.
And yet, in spite of it all, you persevere.
Alia and I are exploring what makes life as a fundraiser survivable, and beyond that, rewarding. We’d love any thoughts or ideas you may have!
More to come…